Have you started to hear noises coming from your attic? There seems to be something running around up there, but you aren’t quite sure what it is.
In all likelihood, you’ve got a few rodents up there who’ve decided that your home is a great place to live. If you have rodents in your attic, how do you get rid of them when you don’t want to use snap traps?
The best way is through the use of an effective rodent repellent. Below we take a look at five of the best rodent repellents for attic use that you can buy. We also advise about how to choose the best product for your needs.
Best Rodent Repellent for Attic Infestation Problems
If you have an issue with rat infestations in your attic, you may want to consider investing in the Virine Indoor Ultrasonic Pest Repellent Plug-in.
This device is only suitable for helping remove mice or rats from your home and other pests. It’s able to do this by simulating sounds that only these types of pests can hear, creating an environment that they find unwelcoming. The device can also change the sounds it emits so that any rodents living in your attic won´t get accustomed to it.
Combining both electromagnetic and ultrasonic frequencies, this product proves itself to be very effective. The pulses that this device emits attack the rodent’s nervous system and, in turn, it deters them from your territory.
- Covers an area of up to 1,076 square feet.
- Not only effective at repelling rodents, but also ants, crickets, and fleas.
- Comes with two modes that can be used simultaneously.
- Both child and pet-safe as it uses no chemicals and is non-toxic.
- Takes a few days or weeks before you begin to see any results.
- You will need to have a power supply near the area of infestation.
- You may find you need to purchase more than one if you have several areas of your home where rodents are living.
If you are looking for a rodent repellent that is less harmful to such creatures, then you may want to consider getting Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent.
This product contains certain natural ingredients that will quickly have any rodent infestation dealt with. This is because this repellent includes certain properties that irritate the rodent’s receptors (due to the strong scent emitted).
This product is easy to use, and you simply place the bags in a location where you see rodents or where they are likely to come in. Then leave it to do its work.
You don’t need to worry about crawling into awkward locations, as the smell this product emits can cover an area of between 8 and 125 meters.
- Safe to use around children and pets.
- It is made up of natural pest-repellent ingredients and is free of poisons.
- Each one of the bags containing the repellent is 98% biodegradable.
- They are environmentally friendly.
- Provides you with an easy, effective way to repel and control rodents.
- You may find that it doesn’t prove effective in your home if much more pungent smells are around.
Whether trying to eliminate pests from your home or prevent them from coming in, you´ll find this product from AMZ to be very effective.
Each one of these devices uses three unique working modes to help remove all kinds of pests from your home. When you use modes 2 and 3, they use ultrasonic and electromagnetic waves to help repel any pests.
You won’t have to worry about the pests returning, as this product will automatically change the frequency of its waves. This ensures that the pest you are trying to repel doesn’t develop immunity to the repellent system.
Inside is a chip that ensures a stable and wide frequency range production, which helps to improve the effectiveness of these AMZ Pest-Repellent Devices.
- You will find that these are easy to use and install in an attic space.
- You can alternate between the three modes simply by pressing the on/off button.
- You can use Mode 3 to help get rid of your rodent infestation before then turning down to Mode 2 or 1 to prevent them from returning.
- Your pets may find the sound emitted by these devices irritating (mind if you have sensitive hearing).
- You have to make sure that windows and doors are closed in rooms where you place these devices. Otherwise, these devices will not repel as intended to.
- You may find it takes a few weeks before you begin to see the results you want.
If you are looking for a device that will help eliminate rodents and other pests from your home using no chemicals or toxic materials, look no further than this product from Shirt Luv.
Like other such devices, these use ultrasonic sound waves to help deter pests from taking up residence in your home, garage, or garden shed.
The sound waves emitted by these place stress on the pest’s nervous system, which then deters them from staying and keeps them away from your home.
These Shirt Luv Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Devices can provide up to 1,200 square feet of rodent-proofing. To get the most out of them, it is a good idea to situate each repellent in a different room in your home.
- These are easy to use, as you simply plug them in and turn them on.
- Covers an area of up to 1,200 square feet.
- Safe to use around children and pets as they contain no harmful toxins or chemicals.
- Small and lightweight so that it can be easily moved around your home.
- You need to make sure you place them close to the location where the pests are to be found.
- It could be some time before you start to see the results you want.
If you are looking for a more humane way to help get rid of any rodents or mice from your home, then these balls from Whemoalus should prove effective.
Inside each Whemoalus Rodent & Mouse Repellent Ball is a mixture of essential oils that give off a scent for a long time that pests find repelling.
They are simple to use, as you just need to place them in an enclosed area to get rid of the pests. You can ensure that they are out of reach of children and pets, and that each one is able to cover an area of up to 120 square feet. This is why we recommend it as one of the best rodent repellents you can use in your home’s attic.
This rodent repellent is ideal for use around your home, in a garage or garden shed, and in RVs.
- These are easy to use. After taking them out of the packaging, you place them in a location where their scent can then deter pests
- These last for between 30 and 90 days before they will need replacing.
- They emit a smell that rodents and other pests find very irritating.
- Made using natural ingredients so safe to use around children and pets.
- Have to make sure that you keep them out of the reach of children and pets.
Tips on How to Get Rid of Mice & Rodents in the Attic
Whether you already suspect that you have an infestation or you’ve just discovered one, it is crucial that you get rid of them as soon as possible.
If you follow the steps below, you´ll be able to get rid of the rodents and prevent them from returning.
Tip 1 – Block Entry & Exit Points
When in your attic, look for areas where light is coming through. You must block any gaps no matter the size, as mice are able to get through holes that may only measure 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
All gaps should be filled using material resistant to rodents, such as metal, wire mesh, steel wool, cement, mortar, or expandable foam.
Tip 2 – Control the Infestation
You’ll want to place down any of the products we´ve mentioned above for helping to repel rodents.
You may find that you must use several to control your rodent infestation effectively. Also, of course, for some of the devices, you will need to ensure that you have an electrical supply in the attic that you can plug devices into.
Tip 3 – Remove Gateways
If you want to avoid reinfestation, it is important to ensure that you don’t give rodents an easy way to gain access to your attic again.
You must ensure that any tree branches close to or touching parts of your roof are trimmed back. The same also goes for any climbing plants that you have on the exterior walls of your home.
If you keep the above tips in mind, you shouldn´t have an issue with rodents in your attic.
Why Repel Rodents in the First Place?
There are several reasons you need to prevent rodents from accessing your home.
The main one is that they can harm the health of those living in your house. You may be surprised to learn that rodents carry more than 200 diseases, which they can then pass on to you or your family.
As they move around your home, they leave hair, urine, and feces with which you can come into contact. Not being careful could lead to you suffering from serious health problems.
Why Do Rodents Choose to Infest a Home?
If you find you´ve got rodents in your home, it isn’t because you don´t take care of it. As a matter of fact, it’s the complete opposite. Rodents only move into places they know are safe and warm, providing them with places to hide and easy food access.
Let’s Wrap Things Up
These days, it is possible to deal with rodents in your attic using humane methods, as we’ve shown above.
Some of the best rodent repellents for attic use are ultrasonic devices. They emit sounds that we have problems hearing, yet they will irritate rodents so much that they eventually decide that your home is no longer safe for them.
Plus, what is great about such devices is that should you not have an electrical socket in your attic, you can place them outside, as these devices often emit ultrasonic waves over a distance of 120 square feet.
If you prefer to use natural rodent repellents that are safe for children and pets, you should go for ones that use essential oils. As these don´t need any electrical supply, they can be placed close to where the rodents are living or entering your home.
We hope that you find this article helpful and provide advice to help you deal with any rodents in your attic now or prevent any future infestations.
By leaving a comment below, let us know how you dealt with such a situation and which one was the best rodent repellent for attics.